Build a rich living experience together
Cooperative-Housing Launchpad provides a starting point for those interested in creating single-home households with other like-minded people based on cooperative culture and principles. Additionally, we help people find vacancies at already established households.
Cooperative culture refers to a style of living together, an alternative to the competitive and independent society we grew up in. It is based on values of sharing, communicating, and creating agreements to achieve strength and abundance through working together.
An Accessible Model To Forming a Community
There are many names that this sort of arrangement goes by. We refer to these as Cooperative Homes (or Shared Homes interchangeably)
Some households build on top of this general model and incorporate strong communal living characteristics. This can include heavily centering around shared values, beliefs, and for some even incorporating income sharing between members.
Sidenote - cooperatives (or housing co-ops) are also a type of legal ownership structure. When we refer to cooperative homes we refer to the spirit of cooperative culture, not the ownership structure. But some households can have both cooperative culture and a co-op legal structure.
Cooperative Home Examples
There are plenty of cooperative households out there and many are started independently by people looking to create a community where they live. View these examples listed below (none of these were started with our help but are simply listed to showcase what's possible).
Dream Big With Cooperative Housing Clusters
For those interested in going beyond a single cooperative house, we want to present the option of having groups of homes cluster together in close proximity. Each household acts autonomously but together they create a dynamic community experience.
We're Here To Help
Browse Our Resources
- Check out our Resource Page which has a range of information to get you going.
- We also recommend checking out the online course for Starting a Community presented by FIC which is a live course led by an instructor. Very helpful as a starting point and they offer many other online courses worth checking out.
Have Questions? Let's Talk
- Please browse through the resources provided from the above links.
- Afterward, feel free to reach out by sending us a message (contact form at bottom of this page) if you have questions about getting started. But keep in mind that we are a volunteer organization, we'll do our best to answer questions but our resources are limited. If we don't have an answer for you we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.
RSVP to Our Next Community Gathering
- Come join one of our upcoming Community Gathering events (Spring and Fall each year) which are a great place to meet seekers looking to join a community.
- You can learn quite a bit about starting a community from those that are a part of one and discuss what has worked for them and what didn't.
- Also, each event has guest speakers or workshops which can help you along in your journey.
Browse Our Directory
- Once you're ready you can post a listing to our directory for the community you are starting. This will help you attract new members to help you along the way or move in once it's ready.
Connect Through Our Newsletter or Facebook
- Sign up for our newsletter to stay connected and receive updates in your inbox. The newsletter includes announcements of our upcoming Community Gathering, any new directory listings (a great way to find new members), and various other updates.
- You may also follow us on Facebook for similar updates if newsletters are not your thing.
When writing to us please keep in mind that we're a volunteer-operated organization. We'll do our best to answer questions but our resources are limited. If we don't have an answer for you we'll do our best to point you in the right direction. Also, we aim to reply in a timely matter but sometimes you might experience delays, please bear with us.
Join the team - we are a volunteer-operated nonprofit and could always use a hand to help us grow and fulfill our mission. Various skills and talents are welcome and we would love to hear from you.