I am so grateful that NICA President Syd Fredrickson, hosted a Board retreat in February… Although my stomach turned when she urged the Board to look NICA’s purposes square in the face, and assess NICA’s integrity.
As small as the Board currently is, and as new as I am to it, I was afraid: what might we find? What might it mean — and what will we do — if we find NICA’s board too small or unable to fulfill our purpose?
Be affirmed, or be relieved with me, as you read what emerged.
Your many hands have somehow nevertheless made light work of beautiful & concrete actions that do carry forth & build momentum. In the list of off-the-cuff recollections below, you’ll find recent examples of each of NICA’s five purposes.
From NICA’s Articles of Incorporation
Article III. Purposes
[NICA aims to improve] our region’s natural, social and economic environments through sustainable communities. The specific and primary purposes are to:
1) Ascertain and promote intentional community aims and values that contribute most to community sustainability…
- NICA members tabled at the Sustainable Ballard Festival
- NICA members, some of whom are board members, have attended meetings of/join in “the Seattle Co-op Housing Movement”
- NICA continues to co-sponsor workshops on good governance, social permaculture, and permaculture.
2) Facilitate communication and networking between local, regional and national intentional community organizations…
- see above, and…
- Executive Director of Fellowship of Intentional Communities (FIC), Sky Blue, was a guest at this NICA board retreat.
- NICA’s list of people are regularly informed of courses put on by FIC.
3) Foster and assist the study of and education on all major elements of intentional communities…
- NICA website (NWCommunities.com)
- NICA newsletter
- NICA trifold/brochure redesign (2017) & distribution
- NICA book sales
- NICA gatherings, panels
- Interaction and education with cities’ & counties’ officials
- Sponsorships & mentoring
4) Assist organizing and financing efforts of and for sustainable communities…
- NICA offers Fiscal Sponsorship (past: Ravenna Kibbutz, present: Just Garden, future: one in process)
- NICA encouraging a Fall Gathering offshoot from “Industry & Community” breakout group
- NICA refers vetted, experienced service providers, including community based facilitators & event organizers, and has an informal Speakers’ Bureau.
5) To coordinate the exchange of resources between communities and others…
- People & our needs as resources: Housemate/Community member ads
- Welcoming newbies/non-members to NICA gatherings
- Ideal: living documentation of existing intentional communities and fostering ‘association — supportive relationships between each.
Welcome to something purposeful!
I am humbled by – and grateful to – all of the people & resources that came together to make these things possible. Reflecting on NICA’s purpose TOGETHER turned out to be uplifting 🙂 I was amazed to see such a very long list of beautiful actions so easily recalled from living memory!
Given the confidence and enthusiasm we gained by evaluating what had been accomplished recently, those present decided to collaborate with the Fellowship of Intentional Communities (FIC) and other networks to cosponsor, plan, and publicize the West Coast Communities Conference! This is exciting for many reasons. One is that it will be held in Washington State for the first time. Another is that you may like to participate actively 😉
We also committed to more active recruitment (you’re looking at it!) to keep NICA active. If you would like to hear about NICA’s new Committee Structure, suggest improvements, or explore what board membership could be like for someone with your skills and interests —
Please let us hear you,
and help you
help us all 🙂
by Briana Barrett-Squirrel