We’re pleased to announce that the NICA 2014 Fall Gathering will be at Songaia Cohousing Community near Bothell, WA on Saturday, 11/8/2014 from 10:00am to 5:00pm.
Creating Community Anywhere
Many involved in the Intentional Communities movement use the phrase “community where you are” as a code phrase for community building outside of the context of residential intentional communities. We all live in community and we all benefit when our communities are more effective.
In this NICA gathering, we’ll step beyond Intentional Community and explore community building in all forms of community or groups, whether they be residential, within the workplace, churches, political action groups, clubs or any other group. At the 11/8/2014 NICA Fall Gathering, we’ll consider many subtopics within the broad sweep of this topic. Topics we choose to explore will be based on the interests and experiences of those who show up. As is our tradition, in preparation for the event, we pose a number of questions to help stimulate your thinking:
- What creates bonding, or the glue that connects and builds community?
- What challenges the building of community?
- How do you encourage participation in your community?
- How do communities weather the storms?
- What celebrations, events, or rituals help build community?
- What single event in the past year would you want a potential new resident to experience?
- If you were looking to join a community what kind of event would you want to experience?
- How do you build and strengthen the community bonds in groups you are now part of?
- How does working together on a community project or in your job help build community?
- How do challenges/tragedies/problems bring people together?
At the event itself, we’ll form subgroups and learn and teach with each other. Those with experience at NICA events know this will be a lively and engaging experience.
Do you have other ideas or questions that you’d like to see considered? Just log in and post them in the comments section below – or bring them to the event.
10:00am Opening circle, announcements
10:30am Group discussion about the topic
12:00pm Potluck Lunch
1:00pm Afternoon circle, song, Discussion
1:30pm First set of Afternoon workshop/discussions
2:30pm Second First set of Afternoon workshop/discussions
3:30pm Final circle discussion and closing
4:00pm Community Tour
What: 2014 NICA Fall Gathering, with Potluck lunch and Songaia tour
When: Saturday, November 8, 2014 from 10am to 5pm
Where: Songaia Cohousing Community: 22401 39th Ave. SE., Bothell, WA 98021 (map link)
Why: To learn, to teach, to do our part to grow a more vibrant, sustainable culture.
How: Bring yourself and food for the potluck lunch to Songaia for the event. Please label any dishes to help those with special dietary, e.g., vegan/vegetarian/omnivore, dairy/non-dairy, gluten-free, etc.